Lisa in Tanzania - A Peace Corps Volunteer's Blog

30 October, 2005

Africa's sleeping giant

Interesting article from the BBC about Tanzania politics.

We had our mid-term exams this weekend. They don't actually count but it shows you what you need to work on. We haven't received our results yet from both the written or oral tests. I think they went well for me...pretty basic stuff...not much vocab....but that doesn't mean I can slack now!

We had our first ET (Early Termination) from our PC group. Brian will be on his way back to the USA this week. I don't know the details so I won't write anything more than he will be missed (especially as a computer teacher which are greatly needed in this country at the moment.)

There was a roach infestation in our room. Not "da kine" roaches in Hawaii (the big ones) but small ones. There was a family of them and they were apparently eating dried toothpaste on a piece of table cloth. We killed them all (pretty nasty) but they're gone now! I've seen a gecko in our room but they eat mosquitoes so I just let them be. We're protected by our mosquito net at night so I'm not worried.

Bekah and I were walking down the hill to go to a restaurant with the rest of the gang and this mzee (old woman) started to yell and us and wave her very long stick. She was missing her front teeth so we didn't understand her very well. Apparently she was yelling at Bekah for wearing trousers and pointing at my skirt and telling her to wear a skirt.

I'm putting up more pictures so check them out!

1 Comments:

  • Is it forbidden for women to wear trousers overthere?
    That would be pretty weird!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 30 October, 2005 17:17  

Post a Comment

<< Home