Lisa in Tanzania - A Peace Corps Volunteer's Blog

15 October, 2005

Devil Cat

The weather continues to be great here. It gets hot from 12-3 then it cools down. We received our first batch of mail yesterday. Clayton got a package or two and a dozen letters, Jeska got about three letters, Jen received 2 letters...Russ and I combined = 0! Where's the love people? ;)

Kiswahili is still difficult...

We have no more chicks at home...I guess eagles or cats ate them...so we had mama chicken for dinner last night. Our host mama said she's going to show us the whole process of killing the chicken then cooking it so I'll let you know how that goes.

The mountains behind us are on fire...still. You can see the red glow at night.

We had an encounter with a devil cat the other night. Russ and I were sitting outside at night, right before dinner, and the gate to our yard was open. We hear this cat give a really awful 'miao' but not an "I'm hungry" miao or a "pet me" miao. Me, being a cat lover, was saying, "kitty, kitty" and just then mama came running towards it carrying a potato or something and chased it down the path and didn't return for a good five minutes or so. Apparently there's an old woman who does witchcraft and owns those devil cats, which are bad luck, so they are not wanted around our house.

Next week we start teaching for "real" at our schools. I did micro-teaching this week and I improved and think I'm ready for the classroom. This will give us lots of practice before we get to our post site.

My sister in my family made me some clothes (two skirts, blouse, bag, and hair band. Pictures to come soon...

Fish - I love fish. Growing up in Hawaii our family ate loads of fresh fish and rice. The fish in TZ is fresh, but you get served the whole fish - eyes, bones, etc. It's good, but I don't like eating the bones. I do however like the "sardines" now...cooked in curry...I eat those whole fish...(bones are too small...)

Perhaps tomorrow we'll be able to buy a cell phone.

3 Comments:

  • Sounds like you two are settling in! That's reallly neat that you can get clothes made for you...I bet its pretty cheap.
    cheers
    adrianna
    http://www.beforeitallbegan.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Dirty Flamingo, at 16 October, 2005 01:46  

  • Give us an address and you'll get some mail :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 18 October, 2005 23:23  

  • Looks like you guys are having a blast. What an experience it must be!!!! Thanks for putting all the info out here for us to check out. Thinking of both you and Russ...
    Fondly,
    Shannon

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 19 October, 2005 22:23  

Post a Comment

<< Home