Lisa in Tanzania - A Peace Corps Volunteer's Blog

13 January, 2006

School will start soon...

This is another rare internet event...it seems to happen just after my mom updates my blog. Anyway, a little more info about what's been going on.

People have asked about what food we eat. For breakfast we eat hard boiled eggs and uji. The closest thing I can describe uji to is porrige...it's a mix of soya flour, ulezi (fingermillet), and ground nuts flour boiled. For lunch and dinner...mchuzi and wali or ugali...which is a sauce made with tomatoes, onions, garlic, green peppers, okra, and whatever other vegetable you can find here...over rice (wali) or ugali which is boiled corn flour...kinda like polenta.

Well, I was supposed to start teaching this week but there are about 50 students here out of the 700 or so that should be at this school. It is common throughout TZ for there to be very few students at the beginging of the terms because they have to pay school fees (at our school it is Tshs. 70,000, or $70) and with the drought that is currently going on there is no water to raise crops and therefore no crops to make money to pay school fees. I was told next week I will have a few students to teach.

Russ's computer room is getting two airconditioners. I think his room is going to be popular!

Our roof still leaks in our kitchen. We told our school fundi before Christmas about it and he said it would be fixed "after Christmas"...a few weeks later...and two downpours later...it still isn't fixed. But TIA... we just put a bucket down and collect water!

As much as we "complain" (i told myself i would not complain while in the PC!) about our house....it is still a house that i believe any Tanzanian would prefer over their mud huts. And our house really isn't that bad. The roach population has dwindled to a steady two dead a day in our house. Not bad!

Thanks for all the packags we have received! I updated our wish list so check it out. We plan on going to Dodoma at the end of the month or so so there will hopefully be more pictures uploaded at that time.

3 Comments:

  • My name is Mary. I am a student at Indiana University in Bloomington, IN. I am currently taking an African studies class in which I am researching two African countries. I am focusing on the response to AIDS orphans in Tanzania and Botswana. I was wondering if you could provide me with any insight or any information at all about Tanzania. My e-mail address is mcchrist@indiana.edu. I also have a blog:
    http://wherethesuncomesout.blogger.com. Thank you so much!
    Mary

    By Blogger Mary, at 17 January, 2006 03:55  

  • sorry wherethesuncomesout.blogspot.com

    By Blogger Mary, at 17 January, 2006 03:56  

  • very nice site

    i love it!

    By Blogger Zhihao, at 28 January, 2006 11:38  

Post a Comment

<< Home